2018 Winter School of University of Padova on “Methods and models in freight transportation and logistics”
Padova (Italy), 1st to 9th of March 2018
Winter Schools are instruments for the encouragement of good scientific and social relationships between promising early stage scientists.
The University of Padova
Winter School (WS) on “Methods and models in freight transportation and logistics
” will take place in Padova, Italy, from the 1st
of March 2018. The event will be hosted by University of Padova and Padova Fiere, and is organized in partnership with Euro Working Group on Transportation, under the patronage of the Italian association of Transport Accademics (SIDT), Padova Fiere and Interporto di Padova.
It aims at gathering early stage researchers will establish a network of outstanding people who hopefully will continue to work together in the future.
The course will be composed by morning lectures and afternoon workshops and tutorials.
Applicants must have a single-authored or co-authored paper in the selected field, which has not yet been published, nor accepted for publication.
Joint cultural and outdoors activities are also planned.
To apply to the WS, applicants have to submit their curriculum vitae, their paper together with a motivation statement to the Scientific Committee of the WS.
The official language is English.
Topics of interest
Main topics of interest are methods, mathematical models and computation algorithms to solve and support the solution of problems in the field of freight transportation and logistics.
Other related fields of main interest are:
- logistics and supply-chain management
- logistics and operations models
- city logistics
- e-commerce related issues
- cooperative logistics
- freight transportation and logistics economics: cost, production functions, capacity, demand, pricing, externalities, modal studies
- land-use and freight transportation planning
- advanced applications in freight transportation and logistics
- applications of combinatorial optimization
- vehicle routing and scheduling
- intelligent transportation systems
- environment problems (green logistics)
- evaluation methods of policies in logistics and freight transportation
- empirical studies of management practices and performance
WS course structure
The course will be composed by
- Morning lectures
- Afternoon workshops and tutorials
Who can apply?
- PhD students at the final stage of their course (last one or two years)
- Researchers who have less than two years research experience since completing a PhD
What they have to submit…
- Curriculum Vitae including information about education, research projects, awards and other pertinent experiences (pdf format)
- A paper: applicants have to submit a single-authored or co-authored paper related to the topics of interest, which has not yet been published, nor accepted for publication (pdf format)
- A motivation statement outlining your perspective and motivation to participate to the WS
How they have to submit …
The only official way to submit the application is the submission on-line form
The selection will be done by the Scientific Committee. Applicants might be asked to clarify their statement before the final decision. The admission process for candidates will focus on the quality of their scientific background as well as their interest in the fields of Freight Transportation and Logistics. The Scientific Committee will notify the final decision by email and the selected applicants will then be announced in the official program and published on the Winter School web page.
Number of places: 15
Number of grants: 15
Grants will cover room and board costs for students.
- Call for application launch: 7th September 2017
- Deadline for applications:
30th November 2017 10 December 2017 (shifted)
- Applicants notification: 15th December 2017
- Final program publication: 15th February 2018
- School: 1st-9th March 2018
We plan a guided tour at one of the Padova and Venice area’s impressive cultural / historical sites.
- Jaume Barcelo (co-chair) (Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya)
- Riccardo Rossi (co-chair) (University of Padova, Italy)
- Giulio Erberto Cantarella (University of Salerno, Italy)
- Teodor Gabriel Crainic (Université du Québec à Montréal, Canada)
- Massimiliano Gastaldi (University of Padova, Italy)
- Yuval Hadas Bar-Ilan University (Israel)
- Agostino Nuzzolo (Universityi of Rome “Torvergata”, Italy)
- Anna Sciomachen (University of Genova, Italy)
- Walter Ukovich (University of Trieste, Italy)
- Tom Van Lier (Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium)
- Tom Van Woensel (Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands)
- Jacek Zak (Poznan Technical University, Poland)
Local Organizing Committee
- Massimiliano Gastaldi (chair) (University of Padova, Italy)
- Claudio Meneguzzer (University of Padova, Italy)
- Riccardo Rossi (University of Padova, Italy)
Download the Final Program
of the School.